1. Introduction ( 5 mins )
Place the mats near the wall . Teacher and students will sit in easy seat pose .
Teacher will check if any students have medical condition or any pain in their bodies or if anyone is pregnant.
Check their flexibility . It’s important to remind the students be aware about their bodies during the asanas practice to know if they are experiencing pain or discomfort . At anytime if they need to rest they can stay in balasana ( child pose ) . Prepare blocks and ropes for students.
2. Breathing Exercise ( 5 mins )
The breathing techniques that we will use at all time during the asanas will be ujjayi breath which is victorious breath . Show them how to do this breathing techniques . Equalization of both length of each inhalation and exhalation , through the nose . Demonstrate how to do it and let them do a few rounds of breathing .
3. Warm up joints (10 mins )
- Stand up and do the warm up exercise from head to toes .
- Tilt the head forward , right side , tilt back , left side , tilt back , right side , tilt forward , left side .
- Rotation clockwise and anti-clockwise . Shoulder up and down , rotation of arms backwards then forwards .
- Twirl the both lower arms inwards and outwards . Do the same for the wrist and palms up and down .
- Gently twist upper body to the left and right for few times . Forward bend , side stretch , slight back bend .
- The hip joints rotation , kick back and forth , bending and flexing knees . Rotate ankle .
- Standing with feet together .
- Lift the kneecaps and roll your thighs inwards and tucking the tailbone underneath you and rolling your shoulder blades back and down . Place your palms together at the front of your heart center . Let them know that this will be the standing pose that we will be at before we transition to other standing poses.
5. Surya Nasmakara Beginners – Sun Salutation x 3 sets (15 mins )
Teacher will show the first set and students will observe . Teacher will do the second set together with students . Teacher will guide the third set with verbal guidance and look out for anyone who needs adjustment .
6. Utthita Trikonasana ( Triangle Pose ) ( 10 mins )
- From Tadasana , exhale , step the right foot back to face the right side . Stand about 3 feet apart with both feet facing forward ( make sure the pelvic is tuck and the mulabandha is lock . Explain to student to engage the core and students are asked to place a hand on the stomach and another hand at the gluteus ) , torso facing forward . Once the standing is stable then turn the right foot out 90 degrees while maintaining the torso facing front and pelvic tuck and keeping the heel in line.
- Inhale and raise both arms up to shoulder level parallel to the floor with palms facing down .
- Exhale and extend the torso to the right , slowly bring the right hand as far down the right leg , for those can reach to grab the big toes if not can use the blocks . While the left arms lengthening towards the ceiling . The left shoulder should be just above the right shoulder . Imagine the back of the body is pressing against the wall and press the hips forward . Look at the right foot .
- Inhale then look up to the left thumb and hold for 5 breaths . Exhale to bring the upper body up to standing . Repeat left side ( Note: check alignment before doing the left side ) .
Practice against the wall . Place the feet and body as close to the walls . Do the same as above . Counter pose : Feet apart , windmill forward bend with hand to alternate foot. Do a few times .
7. Malasana ( Squat )
- Transition from standing to the floor will do a simple slow squat . Inhale and arms straight up parallel to the floor at shoulder level with feet hip width apart .
- Exhale and slowly bend knees and firm footings till reach the mat . Keep the pelvic tuck .
- Place the hands forward to touch the floor or palms together with upper against the inner thigh . Hold for 5 breaths .
- Sit with your legs straight in front of you , with the toes dorsi flex up .
- Place your hands next to your hips , keeping your spine vertical . Look straight ahead parallel to floor . Hold for 5 breaths .
(Explain this is the seating position we will be using quite often for quite a few seating poses . )
9. Ardha Matsyendrasana ( Half Lord of The Fishes )
- From Dandasana . Bend the right knee and place the right foot over the left leg . The right foot will be flat on the mat next the outside of the left thigh with feet facing forward . Left leg straight with foot dorsi flex .
- Inhale arms up , lengthening the spine .
- Exhale and twist the body . Place the right hand on the mat behind the hips and left arms against the right knee . Look behind over the left shoulder .
- Hold for 5 breaths . With each exhalation try to twist deeper . ( Check if students need adjustment or help )
- To get out of the pose , inhale with arms up . the exhale untwist the body. Back to Dandasana . Repeat the other side .
10. Setu Bandha Sarvangasana ( Bridge Pose )
- Lie on the back . Bend knees and place heels as close to the sitting bones . Hands by the side with palms firmly on the ground . Place a block in between upper thigh.
- Exhale and press the inner feet and palms firmly to the ground . Push the tailbone up to pubis firming the buttocks and lift the buttocks off the ground .
- Inhale and clasps the hands under the pelvis bone and extend through the arms to stay on top of shoulders . Lift the buttocks till the thighs are parallel , squeezing the blocks and open the the chest . Hold for 5 breaths .
- Exhale and release the clasps hands and place next the body , slowly rolling the spine back to the ground then lastly the buttocks . Repeat twice and do once without block .
- Bring the knees close to the torso and rock back and forth gently .
11. Ananda Balasana ( Happy Baby Pose )
- Lie on the back . Exhale and bend knees towards the body .
- Inhale and hold the outside of the feet with your hands . If can’t reach can use rope to loop over each sole . Bring your upper thigh as close towards the ground while tailbone maintain close to the ground . This pose is good stretch for thighs , lower back and hamstrings . Hold for 5 breaths .
12. Savasana ( 5 mins )
- Guide the students to relax . Lie on the back with the legs apart and feet facing out . The arms spread outward away from the body so that the scapula can rest on the mat . Palms facing up . Stay 5 min.
- After 5 minutes guide them back to their physical bodies .
- Inhale and stretch the arms above the head and legs straight on the mat . Bend your knees and bring it up to the body and rock gently . Slowly lift up to seating position with eyes closed .
13. Closing with Om