Working in a global company, there are many times where I’ll receive emails when I’m in bed. Even though I’m not expected to reply immediately, the issue will still be at the back of my mind and inevitably disrupt the quality of my sleep. I know it’s advisable to switch off your emails or even phones before bedtime but I’ll end up feeling more anxious that I might have work piling up in the morning.
This is where yoga comes in for me. I’ve tried and tested many poses but I’ve found these to be especially helpful for me:
Viparita Karani (Legs-Up-the-Wall Pose)
- It helps to relax tired, cramped feet and legs
- Helps to soothe and calm the mind
- Massages the abdominal and helps remove toxins
- Promotes healthy digestion
- Stretches and relaxes spine
Supta Baddha Konasana (Reclining Bound Angle Pose)
- Relieve stress in the body by relaxing internal organs
- Relieves indigestion and flatulence
- Enhances the quality of breathing
- Releases tension in the back, shoulders and chest
Bonus: All these can be done in bed and requires little effort! I’ll usually doze off within a few minutes after doing these poses. Hope it helps those experiencing trouble sleeping.