Cervical spondylosis is a common, age-related condition that affects the joints and discs in your cervical spine, which is in your neck. It’s also known as cervical osteoarthritis or neckarthritis. It develops from wear and tear of cartilage and bones.
• tingling/ numbness
Cervical spondylosis possible causes of the condition include:
• Bone spurs
• Dehydrated spinal discs
• Herniated discs
• Ligament stiffness
• physical therapy
Yoga Physical Therapy
Nonsurgical methods are usually very effective. Specially Yoga physical therapy helps with stretching the neck and shoulder muscles. This makes them stronger and ultimately helps to relieve pain.
For example, by doing Yoga poses like
• Adhomukha shvanasana-strengthens the quadriceps stretch opstretch muscles,
• Dhanurasana-tone the muscles of the back and shoulders
Therefore correctly practicing pertinent Yoga asana can offer neck traction, which involves using our own body weights to increase the space between the cervical joints and relieve the pressure on the cervical discs and nerve roots. However some poses like shoulderstand, headstand and etc should be avoided during Yoga practice, due to over press at shoulder and neck region.
• work-related activities that put extra strain on your neck from heavy lifting
• The holding your neck in an uncomfortable position for prolonged periods of time or repeating the same neck movements throughout the day (repetitive stress)
• genetic factors (family history of cervical spondylosis)
• being overweight and inactiv
By Baobei- 200hrYTT / 5 March 2018