“Yoga is the journey of the self, to the self, of the self”
When our body is not in balance due to hormones, the impact and ramifications can be great. Diabetes, growth, ability to reproduce, etc. It is key for us to be able to understand and learn how our body works and what we can do to aid in managing our body’s production of hormones.
The Endocrine System is very important in terms of regulating the body’s hormones and function. Nonfunctional Endocrine system will and can cause haywire in the body in so many ways.
To aid in achieving hormonal balance, application of various Yogic concepts will help to prevent and/or manage issues and problems.
Some tips/guides below on what we can do for ourselves or advice to our yoga students.
- Exercise and dietary control is very important
- Cultivate a hobby
- Take regular walks
- Read scriptures
- Do social work or volunteering work
- Asanas/postures that compress, stretch or expands the impacted glands are very important
- Pituitary Gland Asana: head stand
- Pineal Body Gland Asana: bridge pose (Sethu Bandhasaba), plough pose (Halasana), Supta Virasana
- Thyroid/Parathyroid Asana: Shoulder stand, fish pose, Trikonasana, Camel Pose, Chin Lock
- Pancreas Asana: Twisting poses such as Marichyasana C, D in particular; Revolving poses such as Parivritta Trikonasana; Parivrtiaa Parsvakonasana; Dhanurasana; Uttanasana
- Adrenal Asana: Bridge Pose, Back bends, Round back forward pose, Cat pose
- Ovary Asana: Seated forward bend, Butterfly Pose, Pigeon Pose, Cobra Pose, Camel Pose, Half lotus forward bend – Ardha Buddha padma Paschimottanasana
- Testes Asana: Root Chakra poses; Grounding and standing asana poses; Pranayama: Mula Bandha
We can only progress with managing ourselves. We should help ourselves where we can and do continuous improvement of our mind and body.