Yoga & Digestive System
Basically, our digestive system is made up of the digestive tract and in this tract are the mouth, oesophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine (includes rectum and anus).
In the process of digestion, as our food passes through the digestive tract, it is broken down into smaller molecules of nutrients so it can be absorbs by our body and be use for energy, growth and cell repair. The waste products of digestion are then excrete out of the body as solid waste known as faeces. But when our digestive system is unhealthy and the toxic waste products is unable to pass out of our body, it will affect our health causing diverticular disease, gallstones and constipation etc. Vice versa if the digestive system stays healthy we will have a body that is light and supple, our bones and muscle becomes strong, physical strength will also be increased.
In yoga practice, besides Sattivic foods there are some Asanas that helps to maintain a healthy digestive system.
- Trikonasana (Triangle pose)-Improves digestion, stimulates appetite and alleviates constipation.
- Paschimottanasana (Forward bending pose)- Relieves digestive problems like constipation.
- PavanaMuktsana- Improves gastrointestinal problems
- Matsyendrasana- Massages the abdominal organs, alleviating digestive ailments.
- Ushtrasana (Camel pose)- It stretches the stomach and intestines, alleviating constipation.
Let’s practice these asanas diligently and work ourselves towards a healthy body, mind and soul.