What is Meditation?
Meditation can also be defined as a set of techniques that are intended to encourage a heightened state of awareness and focused attention. Although tied to many different religious teachings, it is more about altering consciousness, finding awareness, and achieving a sense of calm and inner peace.
These days, in quest to reduce stress and to find sanity in the midst of our busy schedules and demanding lives, it has becoming vital to meditate.
Why meditation is beneficial?
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduce anxiety
- Decrease pain
- Improve sleep
- Ease symptoms of depression
- Psychological well-being
Types of meditation practice:
|Meditation Style||How does it work?||Ideal for|
Originates from Buddhist teachings and most popular technique in the West.
||Those who don’t have a teacher to guide them, as it can be easily practiced alone|
Used in Eastern religions, such as Hinduism and Daoism, and in Christian faith.
||Those who thrive in silence and seek spiritual growth.|
||Anyone who requires additional focus in their life.|
||Those who find peace in action & prefer to let their minds wander.
Prominent in many teachings, including Hindu and Buddhist traditions.
||Those who don’t like silence and enjoy repetition.|
||Those who like structure and are serious about maintaining a meditation practice.|
||Anyone who wants to relieve stress and unwind before bedtime.|
||Those who withheld feelings of anger or resentment.|
||Anyone who wants to boost their mood, reduce stress levels, and promote inner peace.|
How do I know which meditation is the right one for me?
- Choose the one you feel most comfortable with & encouraged to practice to meet your needs
- The one that complements your style & personality
How to get started?
- First, sit quietly and focus on your breath.
- Start in small moments of time, even 5 or 10 minutes, and progressively to an hour.
- Sit consistently for at least 20 minutes every day and do it for 100 days straight if possible.
- Combine that with an additional 2 to 5 minutes of meditation throughout the day
Meditation is something that cannot be forced as it comes with regular practice where eventually it became sustaining, nurturing and relaxing. If the style chosen does not fit, just try another! Regardless what you are looking for, be it spiritual enlightenment or a moment of peace, you will get there. 😀