Beetroot is a rich source of Betaine, a natural liver detoxifier and bile thinner. The average liver of people living on processed foods contains hundreds of gallstones, little gall pebbles that can clog up the e bile duct and impede the flow of bile. Beets are on e of the best ways to promote the movement of gallstones towards the bile ducts and out of the liver.
They are best for Kapha and Vata , and therapeutic for Pitta liver conditions (in small amounts and cooked, they are Pitta pacifying.)
Beets cleanse and cool the blood, nourish the liver, and improve the eyesight. It is high in flavonoids, known as ‘nature’s biological response modifiers’. Generally, bioflavonoids show anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and anti-cancer activity.
The body tries to get rid of bio-flavonoids soon after they are eaten. In order to eliminate them, the body activates phase II enzymes that also help eliminate mutagens and carcinogens.
Daily intake of beetroot can provide you with a variety of health benefits. It contains a host of nutritional compounds like magnesium, phosphorus, sodium, potassium and calcium as well as small amounts of copper, selenium, zinc, iron and manganese.
In Ayurveda beets are used for uterine disorders, constipation, hemorrhoids and due to their rich content of folic acid they have benefit for the female reproductive system.
It can be consumed easily either cooked, or in salad or in the form of juice as one wishes.
Beetroot Punch recipe: The energizer
1 large beetroot – peeled
3 small pieces of ginger
1 teaspoon of shopped Mint leaves
1 pinch of salt
(Optional : sugar)
Cut Beetroot into small pieces, and put it into the blender. Add the juice of 3 lemons, cut two of the remaining lemon and add to the preparation.
Add all other ingredients, and 2 cups of water and grind. The juice may be strained and used. Sugar may be added for taste.
It s a perfect cool drink, that enhance appetite. (Beets are good for anemia). According to Ayurveda, sour and pungent tastes clear the channels where sweet nourishes. Beetroot punch forms a perfect blend of those.
Here are a few health benefits of the wonder juice:
- A cup of beetroot juice helps reduce blood pressure level.
- Beet juice is alkaline in nature and helps to lower acidosis
- It is an amazing antioxidant and helps prevent the formation of cancerous tumors.
- Beetroot juice detoxifies the liver and also cures some diseases of the digestive system.
- Beetroot juice could energize the elderly to lead more active lives as it widens blood vessels and reduces the amount of oxygen needed by muscles during physical activity.
- It is a very good source of folic acid (that help in building red blood cells)
- Beet juice increases stamina.
- And last, but certainly not the least, beet juice lowers bad cholesterol level.