Vanessa’s Mediterranean Vegetables Bruschetta
Ingredients: (serves 4)
1 small French baguette
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small eggplant (230g), sliced thinly
2 medium egg tomatoes (150g), sliced thinly
2 tablespoons fresh baby basil leaves
1 table spoon baby capers, rinsed, drained
- Preheat oven to hot (200-220 degrees Celsius).
- Cut bread, on an angle, into 8 slices; brush both sides with half the oil, place on oven tray. Toast uncovered, in hot oven for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook eggplant on heated grill plate/shallow fry until browned lightly.
- Divide eggplant, tomato, basil and capers evenly among bruschetta. Drizzle with remaining oil.
Vegetable Delight on Garlic Bread (www.allrecipes.com)
Ingredients: (serves 5)
1/8 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 medium eggplant, cubed
1 zucchini, cubed
1 medium tomato, peeled, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon minced oregano (optional)
1 French baguette
4 teaspoons garlic powder
6 teaspoons butter, softened
- Place olive oil and garlic in a large pan, stir frying occasionally over medium heat until the garlic is golden brown.
- Add eggplant and zucchini to the pan, fry until the eggplant is brown and tender; approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the tomato chunks to the pan, stir the mixture until the tomato becomes a pulp. Mix in salt, oregano and basil. Stir the entire mixture over the heat for 2 minutes, then remove pan from heat and let mixture cool.
- Preheat the oven to 165 degrees Celsius.
- Slice the bread into 12 slices. Distribute garlic powder and butter evenly over the top of each slice. Place the slices directly onto the over rack (bread will be crispier this way). Let bread heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove bread from the oven and arrange them on a serving platter. Spread the vegetable mixture over 12 bread slices, distribute the topping evenly as you can. Serve immediately.