“That’s a nice rhyme!” Was that the first thought that came to your mind when you chanced upon this article?
Well, it is a nice rhyme, but believe me when I say, there is more to this title than meets the eye. So keep your eyes peeled, focus and let’s find out if this is indeed a sweet awakening from your slumber.
Picture this…A porcelain angelic face, supple apple shaped cheeks, eyelids lined with jet black lashes full and complete in all their glory and lips pressed lightly just to allow for the exchange of air. She had a very long day and is enjoying the well-deserved sleep bestowed upon her. Seconds turn to minutes, then to hours and then without any warning whatsoever, she hears ‘krrrrrrrrrrinhggggggggggggg!!!!!!!’.
She squeezes her eyes tightly, she doesn’t want to wake up. ‘Oh do I have to wake up? No I don’t want to. I want to sleep. 5 minutes more. Pleaseeeeeee’.
But she wakes up anyway, rolls over, with eyes sprung open and lands on her feet. Why? Why does she awaken from the sweet, peaceful, well deserved slumber? Why you ask?
Well ladies and gentlemen, the answer is that she knows, and what does she know? She knows that what is coming after, is sweeter than the sleep she was immersed in.
And what is that you ask. It is the seamless flow of life-giving force, the release of endorphins throughout your body and the empowering surge of energy that will get you through the day.
Really that sounds awesome. How do you get that?
It’s easy. Somewhat a chain reaction that will flow through your body and wait for it, you can do this on an empty stomach.
So let’s get to it…
- You are already on your feet. Now stand up, let those knees bend a little. Be kind to yourself, it is early in the morning.
- Now inhale, stretch, arms up, nice and long throughout your body. Doesn’t that feel good?
- Next open your chest and bend backwards. It only gets better, doesn’t it? That feels so good and now the back of the upper body wants some goodness too.
- Swan dive down and reach your palms to the floor. That’s what we call a forward fold. Are your hamstrings tight? No problem, bend your knees a little and gently sway your body from side to side.
- Now your hips, calves and hamstrings are ready for some action. I told you it’s a chain reaction. So let’s get to it. Step your right leg back. Are you loving the stretch?
- Now give your left leg a stretch too, step it all the way back, now you have come to downward dog (Adho Mukha Swanasana). Yap, I thought I would include some sanskrit, a stretch for the body and the brain!
- Stay there, in downward dog for 3 breaths. Are your heels not touching the ground? No problem. Walk your feet 1 step forward, you will feel your heels getting closer to the mat.
- Now time to wrap up this morning flow. Extend your right leg forward and place it between your palms. Does it not quite reach there? No problem at all, just wiggle wiggle wiggle it to reach the center of your palms.
- Isn’t that a nice release? Well let’s give that release to the left leg too. Go on and extend your left leg to be placed between your palms.
- Now stand up, raise your arms up, and go for that chest opener as you bend backwards.
- Its time to dive in!, fold your upper body forward, remember the swan dive and rag doll move you did before? Yes, that’s the one!
- Ok, now for the last leg. Inhale and raise your arms all the way up, then exhale, straighten your upper body, bring your arms towards your chest and place your palms in prayer position.
Now do you know what you just did? All that stretching, rising, extending, wriggling? That is a sun salutation sequence. Yes, I do alliterations too!
In 12 steps, you have just aligned your body and got the prana (life-giving forces) flow like a stream through the nadis (channels in the body), and yes that along with the release of endorphins is making you feel just so good and energized.
Now tell me, isn’t this a sweet awakening?