In Ayurveda, there are 3 basic types of energy, universal principles known as the doshas:
- Vatta doshas (Air/Space)
- Pitta doshas (Fire)
- Kapha doshas (Earth/Water)
The particular ratio of vata, pitta, and kapha within each of us has a significant influence on our individual physical, mental, and emotional character traits.
A/ Characteristics of Vata :
Here are some of the common characteristics of people who have a predominantly Vata body type :
- Creativity, mental quickness, Highly imaginative
- Quick to learn and grasp new knowledge, but also quick to forget
- Slenderness; lightest of the three body types
- Talk and walk quickly
- Tendency toward cold hands and feet, discomfort in cold climates
- Excitable, lively, fun personality
- High energy in short bursts; tendency to tire easily and to overexert
- Variable appetite and digestive efficiency
- Full of joy and enthusiasm when in balance / Respond to stress with fear, worry, and anxiety, especially when out of balance
- Generally have dry skin and dry hair and don’t perspire much
B/ How to balance Vata with the yoga pratice ?
- ASANA :
To rebalance Vata, you must practice gentle postures so as not to exhaust, slowly practice, slow down and deepen breathing, warm the body, improve blood circulation and soften the joints. It is necessary to insist on the region of the pelvis and the colon, to release the tensions of the hips and the sacro-iliac joints, to restrict the movements, to prevent the dispersion, to mobilize the vertebral column in all directions in order to To avoid its stiffening.
Vata is a fresh constitution, which is why the session should under no circumstances cool the body, but on the contrary can warm it. Standing poses anchor and produce heat.
- Exemple : Trikonasana, Virabhadrasana II, Utkatasana
Flexions forward provide an immediate appeasement, serenity, and the liberation of Vata outside. Associated with soft and slow extensions (back flexions), Vata is released even more, the system is heated, Apana and the colon are stimulated.
- Exemple : Paschimottanasana, Janu Sirsasana Parivritti Utkatasana
- PRAYANAMA :
- Exemple : Nadi Shodhana and Ujjavi Prathiloma
C/ Others recommendations in lifestyle :
- Drink plenty of hot water.
- Favor hot drinks and meals.
- Try to get more rest than usual. Because Vata is active and restless by nature, one the best ways to balance Vata is to get extra sleep.
- Maintain a regular routine. / maintain regular meal times.
- Exercise daily. Exercise increases circulation, improves your appetite and raises your body temperature.
- Keep your head and ears covered when outside.
- Start increasing your portions of foods that are sweet, sour and salty, as these pacify vata dosha. Spicy, astringent and bitter foods increase vata.
Inès LAFFONT ( 200hrs TTC / May 2017)