In Ayurveda, there are 3 basic types of energy, universal principles known as the doshas:
- Vatta doshas (Air/Space)
- Pitta doshas (Fire)
- Kapha doshas (Earth/Water)
The particular ratio of vata, pitta, and kapha within each of us has a significant influence on our individual physical, mental, and emotional character traits.
A/ Characteristics of Pitta :
Here are some of the common characteristics of people who have a predominantly Pitta body type : Medium physique, strong, well-built
- Sharp mind, good concentration powers
- Orderly, focused
- Assertive, self-confident, and entrepreneurial at their best; aggressive, demanding, pushy when out of balance
- Competitive, enjoy challenges
- Strong digestion, strong appetite; get irritated if they have to miss or wait for a meal
- Like to be in command
- When under stress, Pittas become irritated and angry
- Skin fair or reddish, often with freckles; sunburns easily
- Hair usually fine and straight
- Uncomfortable in sun or hot weather; heat makes them very tired
- Perspire a lot
- Good public speakers; also capable of sharp, sarcastic, cutting speech
B/ How to balance Pitta with yoga pratice ?
- ASANA :
Pitta is hot, sharp, sour, pungent, and penetrating. To balance pitta, make choices that are cooling, sweet, and stabilizing. it’s important to do a quiet, relaxing, refreshing pratice
In your pratice, take time :
- to stay in asana (to fell the asanas correctly) and between 2 asanas to fell your body.
- to breath
Anasa recommanded :
1/ Vertebral twist : to decrease the heat inside, to clean up the liver
- Exemple : Utthitatrikonasas, Utthita parshvakonasana, Uttanasana, Chandra Parighasana
2/ Front bending : massage of abdomen. It’s calming and refreshing. to decrease stress,
- Exemple :Paschimottanasana, Prasarita Padotassana A/B/C/D, Parsvottanasana, Janushirasana, Shashankasana
3/ Back flexion : to strech abdomen
- Exemple : Bhujangasana – Cobra pose
4/ Inversion : to oxygene the brain
- Exemple : Sethu Bandhasana (bridge pose), Sarvangasana
- PRAYANAMA :
- Exemple : Sitali Pranayama
C/ Others recommendations in lifestyle
- Balance rest and activity, Be careful not to create unnecessary time pressures for yourself.
- Do not skip meals and do not wait until you are famished to eat.
- Favor foods that are sweet, bitter and astringent. Also eat more cooling foods such as cucumbers, sweet fruits, and melons.
- Regularly spend time in nature.
- Perform a daily massage using cooler oils such as coconut or olive.
- Favor cooler colors in your clothing and environment such as blues, greens, and silver.
- Laugh a lot, every day.
Inès LAFFONT ( 200hrs TTC / May 2017)