In Ayurveda, there are 3 basic types of energy, universal principles known as the doshas:
- Vatta doshas (Air/Space)
- Pitta doshas (Fire)
- Kapha doshas (Earth/Water)
The particular ratio of vata, pitta, and kapha within each of us has a significant influence on our individual physical, mental, and emotional character traits.
A/ Characteristics of Khapa :
Here are some of the common characteristics of people who have a predominantly Khapa body type :
- Easygoing,relaxed,slowpaced, Affectionate and loving
- Forgiving, compassionate, nonjudgmental nature Stable and reliable; faithful
- Physically strong and with a sturdy, heavier build
- Have the most energy of all constitutions, but it is steady and enduring, not explosive
- Slow speech, reflecting a deliberate thought process
- Slower to learn, but never forgets; outstanding long-term memory
- Soft hair and skin; tendency to have large “soft” eyes and a low, soft voice
- Tend toward being overweight; may also suffer from sluggish digestion
- Excellent health, strong resistance to disease
- Slow to anger; strive to maintain harmony and peace in their surroundings
B/ How to balance Khapa with yoga pratice ?
- ASANA :
Asanas that are suitable are those that pull upwards and cause us to open the chest and lungs, helping to relieve the heaviness that clogs the upper respiratory tract. The reversed postures that vivify with the heart above the head will move physiology like energy :
- Exemple : Dhanurasana, Ustrasana, Salamba Sarvangasana, Navasana, Surya Namaskar A and B
- PRAYANAMA :
- Exemple : Bhastrika
C/ Others recommendations in lifestyle :
- Follow a regular daily routine, ideally awakening before 6 a.m. each morning. Avoid taking naps during the day.
- Stay warm and avoid dampness.
- Use an Ayurvedic neti pot to help prevent congestion.
- Get regular exercise. This is the best way to avoid stagnation and the accumulation of toxins in the body. Focus on building endurance.
- Favor colors that are warm and bright, including yellow, orange, and red.
- Try a liquid fast one day per week, ingesting only fresh vegetable and fruit juices, and pureed vegetable soup.
- Reduce the intake of dairy,
- Avoid most sweeteners.
- Eat lots of vegetables.
- Limit consumption of red meat.
- Use small amounts of fats and oils. Try extra virgin olive oil, ghee, almond oil, corn oil, sunflower oil, mustard oil, or safflower oil.
Inès LAFFONT ( 200hrs TTC / May 2017)