A delicious and vegan breakfast or dessert. Usually they cost a lot of money in the stores, hence I’ve decided to make it at home.
- Yogurt maker – if not you can use the oven
- Wooden spoon or plastic spoon to stir (not metal as this can react negatively with the probiotics)
- Sterilised glass jar
- food thermometer
- 2 cups of full fat coconut milk (make sure the fat content is at least 18 gr above, a brand that worked well with me is Aroy-D Coconut Milk)
- 1 tBsp cornstarch (helps to make the yogurt really tangy and creamy)
- 1 tsp powder yogurt starter or 2 tBsp store-bought unsweetened plain coconut yogurt
Sterilize all your equipment with hot water before using them and let it dry out.
To begin making the coconut yogurt, start by setting aside 1tbsp of coconut milk to mix the yogurt starter into.
Meanwhile, heat up the coconut milk and cornstarch together over medium heat, till the mixture reaches 82ºC, stirring occasionally.
Leave the milk to cool down till between 42-44ºC and then add in the 1 tsp yogurt starter and coconut milk combination into the heated coconut milk and mix well. -OR- If you are using a store-bought coconut yogurt, just add it to the heated coconut milk and stir well.
This coconut yogurt mixture now needs to be ‘incubated’** at around 44ºC for around 10-12 hours minimum. You can even leave it for up to 16 hours for a thicker, more tart yogurt.
You can then store your coconut yogurt in a sterilised glass jar in the fridge. This usually lasts between 5-7 days.
Also for the next batch you can reuse this yogurt to make it.