Audry Afrininta (200hr Yoga TTC 7/14 Weekend)
English Name: Cow Face Pose
Sanskrit Name: Gomukhasana
Step by step Instructions:
1. Start in Dandasana. Spine straight, hands on the side and keep both of your feet on dorsiflexion.
2. IN – Chest up, spine straight. EX – Bend your right knee and place your thigh above your left thigh. Placing your foot on the side of your left hip.
3. IN, still with your spine straight. Bend your left knee patella facing the front and place your left leg heel on the left side of your hip
4. IN swing your right hand up and left hand back towards your back. Try to straighten your right elbow to face the ceiling and left elbow facing the floor.
5. EX – grab your hands or your fingers to leave no space between them if possible. Hold your Gomukhasana pose and breathe.
Modifications : Use Yoga Strap or Towel
6. Release and back to Dandasana
- Chest: Pectoralis Major (upper arm contraction) and Pectoralis Minor (lower arm contraction)
- Pelvic Girdle and Thighs: Gluteus Maximus and Vastus Teralis
- Arms: upper and lower arm Triceps
- Shoulder (external rotation): Infraspinatus (upper arm contraction) and Subscapularis (lower arm contraction)
- Strengthen your arms and thighs muscles
- Improve the back posture from the stretch as well as to treat back problems and sciatica
- Helps to improve digestive system and reproduction system
- Helps to relax and release stress/tension
- Helps to improve your breathing
- Increases focus and to have a clear mind
- Activates Svadhisthana Chakra
- Increases energy level in the torso
Precaution & Contraindication
People with the following problems will need to avoid the posture
- Use towel or yoga strap if you can’t grab your hand
- Use towel for your tailbone if it hurts
- Baddha Konasana