“Slippery when Wet.” That is the way to go for this pose. Do your primary series and you will reach this position towards the end and it will make it easier to do the asana and smile(with satisfaction as you are reaching the end of the practice). Try when you have not sweat it out before the Primary Series and then try again in the flow of PS. Try it! You will know what I mean.
Dristi point: Nose
- Reduces excess fat in the body especially in the abdominal region due to total contraction during the asana.
- The digestive system of the body improves due to the regular practice of this posture. It also prevents all kinds of stomach illnesses.
- Provides exercise to both the upper and the lower body
- Exercise that might help get you to the perfect Asana:
- Lots of hip flexors( Baddha Konanasana)
- Core, which helps to loosen the fats around the trunk.
- Strengthen the knees
Hip Adductors (Inner Thigh) / groin muscle and inner quad muscle (VMO) Strengthening: Sit in chair, put fist between knees, squeeze together knees. Hold for count of 10. Relax for count of 3. Do 10 repetitions.
Lie on floor on your right side, shoulder and hips aligned. Use your right hand to prop up your head. Place the left hand on floor in front of you to help balance yourself. Bend left leg and bring it to the floor in front of you. Slowly raise your right leg about 10 inches off the floor then, hold for a second, then slowly lower leg to ground. Lift 10 times on each side.
Hip Abductors (Outer Thigh) strengthening: Lie on floor on your right side, shoulder and hips aligned. Bend right leg (leg on floor) to 90 degrees.Slowly raise you left leg about 18 inches, hold for a second, then slowly lower leg.Do 10 repetitions. Repeat on other side.
Place the legs in full lotus.
Slide elbows through the 2 gaps formed from the lotus pose.
Place the chin in between the palms
Variation: Roll back and fourth clockwise nine times with deep breathing OR roll back and fourth nine times in a straight line
Overweight people may find it relatively hard to pass their arms through the gaps between their calves and thighs. However, the arms can be more readily passed through the gap if one raises oneself just a bit after placing legs in Full Lotus