DOWNWARD FACING DOG /ARDHA MUKHA
According to me Downward facing dog is the most iconic and versatile yoga pose .
Almost 24 days in the class and I doing this pose everyday , sometimes they are part of vinyasa flow. It was a EUREKA moment for me when I attended hip opening asanas which was taught by my fellow mate as a theme class . I realised my strength, stamina and flexibility has improved drastically. All thanks to regular practice.
In the beginning of the month I was struggling with my alignment , raising my leg backwards , tiredness in my arms but after warming up as soon as I used to come in downward dog , I felt relaxed . I started concentrating on my downward dog like engaging my abs , glutts ,lengthening spine, trying to put all my weight to the legs . I felt great and loved the whole sequence of hip openers .
Benefits of Downward facing dog when you practice everyday :
- Stretching and strengthening of arms , chest ,back and shoulder area.
- Stretching and opening of back of our legs from the gluts along the hamstrings and down to the calves.
- Engaging the abdominal muscles , massages the digestive organs and helps us to digest food.
- Pressing our heels down helps to strengthen the calves muscles , feet and toes .
- Since this is an inversion, improves the blood circulation as our head is lower than our heart . Improved blood circulation helps flush toxins and stabilises our blood pressure. Flow of the blood to the brain helps us to improve memory , concentration and relives the stress.
- Lengthening the spine helps to release tension in the spine.