Food is on our mind most of the times and how it digests “even more”. I know I am in a great mood when my morning starts of well in the loo! I have a love hate with my digestion – somedays good and somedays not so much.
While one must exercise everyday to maintain a healthy digestive system, Master Paalu and Master Satya touched upon some specific Asanas and Kriyas to help us get our digestive system behave better.
Morning routines (on an empty stomach):
- Kapalbhati: it aids in digestion and removal of toxins from the body, optimises blood supply in the body, activates brain cells and improves concentration, gives a glowing skin and helps reduce belly fat
- Udiyana Bandha: massages all organs in the abdomen, improves digestion and circulation of blood throughout the body
- Vajrasana (done post meal): Sitting in Vajrasana for about 15-20 minutes soon after a meal aids in better digestion of food
- Pavanmukthasana: as the name goes, its the wind releasing pose; it helps expel excessive air! This Asana also helps relieve constipation
- Dhanurasana: stimulates the colon
Some non-Yoga related tips:
- Stay hydrated all day and drink warm water when you can (not hot, just lukewarm)
- Chew, chew, chew. Something I know I don’t do very well, chew your food well to make it easy on our digestive system to break it down and our body to optimally absorb nutrients
- Eat fibre rich natural foods and avoid processed foods. Add Probiotics like kefir, yogurt, sauerkraut, kimchi and kombucha to your diet
And one last tip: tomorrow morning don’t take that phone or tablet to the loo! For best results, focus on the one task you are going in for! 😉
Aman (200 Hr – January 2017)