English: Four-limbed staff pose/ Half push up
Sanskrit: Chaturanga Dandasana
- 1. Start in plank pose. Spread fingers wide and keep shoulders directly above wrists. Engage the core.
- 2. Inhale and shift weight forward by rolling on tips of the toes.
- 3. Exhale and lower body until arm form 900 angle.
- 4. Hold pose for 10-30s and keep lengthening from heel to top of head.
- 5. To come out from the pose, inhale back to plank or upward facing dog.
- Actively press down the bases of the hands as if gripping the floor.
- Lift chest by drawing shoulders together. Do not let chest droop towards the floor.
- Hug the elbows in towards ribcage. Shoulder should not be below elbow.
- Keep core muscles very engaged.
- Half Chaturanga (Lowered knees)
- Knees-Chest-Chin (see pic)
- Serratus anterior muscles
- Strengthens arms, wrists and shoulders
- Tones the abdominal muscles
- Cultivates concentration and focus
Wrist, shoulder injuries
Veron.T July ’14 200Hr Weekend TTC