The topic on Chakras interests me. I have heard occasionally how certain poses open certain Chakra during my practice and have seen accessories made for specific Chakra, but have no idea what Chakra is till this week.
From my understanding, chakras are like centres of energy, with energy flowing through or around it. The chakras move in different directions, like Muladhara chakra (the lowest chakra) moves in a clockwise direction whilst Swadhishthana chakra (above Muladhara chakra) moves in an anti-clockwise direction. When energy becomes blocked in a chakra, it triggers physical, mental, or emotional imbalances that manifest in symptoms such as anxiety, lethargy or poor digestion. Each chakra is associated with an element. For instance, the root chakra (Muladhara) is associated with earth. When it is in balance, we feel strong and grounded, and we are able to take care of ourselves. When it is out of balance, we feel unrooted and insecure. Who wants to constantly feel out of balance? So…restoring balance in our chakras is one good reason why we should be doing yoga.
In order to restore balance in our chakras, we have to first tune in to how we are feeling, then figure out which chakra to stimulate to counteract the imbalance. For instance, if you are feeling low in energy, you can do poses that target the navel chakra (Manipura chakra) to rekindle your inner fire. Unblocking a chakra can be the intention for your day’s practice.
Here, I would like to share 7 poses that I read from Yoga Journal which can strike a balance in your energy centres (i.e. chakra) and channel more creativity, confidence and joy into our life.
1. Tree Pose – Muladhara Chakra (keeps you grounded)
2. Goddess Pose – Swadhishthana Chakra (helps in keeping you creative, positive and receptive to changes)
3. Boat Pose – Manipura Chakra (helps in awakening your true personal inner power and work through your fears)
4. Camel Pose – Anahata Chakra (so that your heart is open, you learn to love unconditionally and form healthy relationships)
5. Supported Headstand – Vishuddha Chakra (you will be able to communicate your emotions in healthy way and better in listening to others)
6. Easy Pose – Ajna Chakra (Opening this chakra will open your mind to bigger picture and different perspectives and your ability to receive new wisdom)
7. Savasana – Sahasrara Chakra (working on this chakra helps you feel free in any situation)
Well…Maybe this is why Yoga makes me feel good, always 🙂