(1) Sit in Dandasana (Staff pose) with both legs outstretched in front with a straight back.
(2) Inhale. Sit straight on the sitting bone, and lengthening the spine. Bend the both knees, pull in both heels towards the pelvis/ groin area and drop the knees out to the side and place the sole of the feet together.
Hold the big toes with the first and second fingers and thumb on each foot or, hold the outside feet/ ankles/ shin with hands.
(3) Exhale. Reach forward with spine straight.
(4) Inhale. Release the pose.
- Biceps brachii and brachialis bend the elbows.
- Lower and middle trapezius and the rhomboid joining the shoulder blade to the spine to draw the shoulders back and down.
- The sartorius, tensor fascialata, gluteus medius and maximus turn the hip outward
- The adductor longus and brevis contract and rotate the thighs outward and laterally.
- The abduction lengthens the two muscles of the adductor group.
- Physical: Helps in opening the hips, stretches the inner thighs, groin and knees. Stimulates abdominal organs, ovaries and prostate gland, bladder and kidneys.
- Mental : Helps relieve mild depression and anxiety.
- Spiritual : N/A
Precaution and Contraindication:
- To those who are unable to perform this pose with ease, place yoga blocks underneath each knee and, place a blanket/ towel under the outer thighs for support.
- Be careful when bending forward for those with high blood pressure and heart problem
- Avoid this pose particularly those with groin or knee injury.