Sinusitis is a common condition defined as inflammation of the paranasal sinuses. It is usually caused by allergies, infection or irritation due to particles or chemicals in the air. Your sinuses or the sinus cavities get inflamed in sinusitis. It is a common ailment during monsoon and humidity. The symptoms include a stuffy nose, thick discharge from the nose and facial pain. It can also cause cough, headache, fever and sore throat.
I have been dealing with sinusitis since a young age and have always been finding a natural remedy that I could go for on a long term, till I found out that certain yoga asanas ease breathing during sinustitis by opening the air passage of the nose.
- Anulom Vilom pranayama is a breathing technique and it helps remove the congestion of the nasal passage. It aids free flow of air. It also improves blood flow to the brain and boosts immunity
- Doing more Bhujangasana or the cobra pose as it is one of the best yoga poses for your lungs. It helps you breathe easily. It also relieves backache, aids weight loss and cures thyroid and gynaecological conditions.
- Kapalbhati, a breathing technique, not only clears your sinuses but also improves your brain functions. The exhalation in kapalbhati is forceful. It also clears the blockages in your respiratory system, treats cough and cold, enhances memory and aids weight loss.
- Ustrasana or the camel pose is another yoga asana that you could practice to get relief from sinusitis. It removes the stuffiness in your nasal passage. It also improves digestion and eyesight
- Bhastrika Pranayama is another breathing technique to get relief from sinusitis. It removes the congestion and treats sore throat and cold.
Inversions can really help to get things loosened up and moving. These poses will intensify the pressure in your head, but when done, you should feel some relief shortly after. Give it time, and be open-minded.