“As is the mind, so is the man”
Our muscular and skeletal bodily function is impacted by our genes, attitudes and lifestyle. More often than not, we create our own problems. Recognizing our role and mindset impact is the first step to managing ourselves and the negative impacts on our bodies.
Stressful lives lead to muscle tension and wrong postures. Lack of exercise can cause muscle dysfunction and impacts our relaxation. Negative mindsets can also cause fatigue or pain in our muscles.
We need to move towards a more positive mindset, flexible mind and body and being disciplined in terms of exercise and diet to address our muscle and joint problems. To some extent, as part of aging, we will need to accept that our body will undergo degeneration.
Our outlook and approach to life should be changed. We can tackle this by taking care of our diet, regular exercise, right medication, rest, routine, positive thinking, and lifestyle changes especially for those who have long hours sitting with wrong postures/mental stress.
I’ve researched on what Yogic principles can be applied to aid us in our journey to manage our minds and bodies better. Below presents a list for reference:
- Pranayamas and breathing excercises to help in relaxation, increase tolerance, reduce tensions
- Daily practice of Asanas
- Muscular Pains and Aches: Vakrasana, Parvatasana, Yogamudra, Bhujangasana, Sukhasana, Nishpandabhava
- Cervical Disk Prolapse: Shavasana, Nishpandabhava, Gomukhasana, Vakrasana, Bhujangasana, Yogamudra, Konasana
- Cervical Spondylosos/Spondulitis: Shavasana, Dradhasana, Hand and neck exercises, Yogamudra, Konasana (1,2,3), Nishpandabhava, Sukhasana, Shavasana, Dradhasana, Parvatasana, Vakrasana
- Lower Back Pain: Shavasana, Dradhasana, Makrasana, Vakrasana, Hastapadangustasana, Pravanamukstasana, Bhujangasana, Shalabhasana, Pelvic tilts, Yogamudra, Konasana, Hastapadasana, Sukhasana, Shavasana, Nishpandbhava
- Slipped Disc: Shavasana, Dradhasana, Makarasana, Supine Hastapadangusthasana, Shalabhasana, Bhujangasana, Pelvic tilts, Vajrasana, Yastikasana, Shavasana, Sukhasana, Hastapadasana, Konasana
- Spine Degeneration: Shavasana, Dradhasana, Makarasana, Supine Hastapadangustasana, Supine Vakrasana, Pavanamuktasana, Konasana, Shalabasana, Bhujangasana, Yoga Mudra, Yastikasana, Pelvic Tilts, Sudhakasa, Padmasana, Nispanda Bhava
I hope this list and research helps you, the reader. This has been my personal go to reference due to challenges I have had with my back and neck.
Reference: Yoga for Back and Joint Disorders (The Yoga Institute, SantaCruz Mumbai)