English: Half Lotus Seated Forward Fold
Sanskrit: Ardha Baddha Padma Paschimottanasana
- Ardha = half
- Baddha = bound
- Padma = lotus
- Pashchima = the West, or the back of the body
- Uttana = intense stretch
1. Start in Dandasana (Staff Pose)
2. Lift the left leg into Ardha Padmasana (Half Lotus Pose).
Support the Padmasana knee with a blanket or block if it does not come to the floor.
3. Swing the left arm around to grab the left big toe.
If bind is not accessible, use a belt and hook a loop around the foot. You can also use this modification to create more space in the shoulder for a deeper forward fold.
4. Inhale and lengthen the right arm up out of the right side of the trunk. Exhale and grab the outside of the foot.
5. Inhale and elongate the trunk, lifting and opening the chest.
6. Exhale and reach the head forward, bringing the chin towards the shin. Hold this position for 5 breaths.
7. To exit, contract your core abdominal mucles and, with an inhalation, lift your torso back to vertical.
8. Exhale and return to Dandasana.
9. Lengthen the left leg forward and shake both legs.
10. Repeat on the other side
Keep the bind loose so as not to lift the bind shoulder. If bind is not accessible or is tight, use a strap to hook the lotus leg.
Stretches and tones the hamstrings and calf muscles The binding of the arm opens the chest and shoulder.
This asana benefits the liver and spleen; both organs play a part in the digestive processes.
Gastric problems and constipation are alleviated with this asana.
This pose helps to stimulate intestinal peristalsis. Calms the mind and central nervous system
Therapeutic for high blood pressure, depression, and insomnia Helps relieve symptoms of menopause
Note of caution regarding knees and hips, if you have knee problems half lotus should be approached very carefully.
Do not try to push your knee down as this can put more twist on the knee causing pain.
- Low back injury especially if history of lumbar disc herniation.
Purvottanasana (Reverse plank)
Ardha Purvottanasana (Reverse Table top)
Namaste. Cher (200hr Yoga TTC 07/14 Weekend)