1. You need to be petite and skinny to be good at yoga – While a smaller physique gives one something to start with, yoga is about flexibility, strength and balance. Size is NOT the only factor.
2. Yoga is not for the boys – Yoga was started by men and practiced exclusively by men thousands of years ago. Male dominated workouts are starting to implement yoga into their standard strength and conditioning regime.Think yummies Adam Levine, Matthew McConaughey, Ashton Kutcher, Robert Downey Jr., David Beckham
3. Yoga doesn’t get you enough sweat, except for conditioned room heat for Hot and Bikram – Try Ashtanga / Power. Or simply, take up a TTC course @ Tirisula.
4 . Yoga is a religion – It is as religious as how you want it to be. Yoga is for everyone.
5. Yoga is a stress buster, not a fitness workout -With hundreds of forms of yoga, some inject cardio element within. This is therefore dependent on the intensity and frequency of your own practice. Idea is to make sure you get your heart rate up, build strength, and burn calories if you are looking for a cardio workout.
6. Yoga can’t help you lose weight as compared to gyming – see pts 3 & 5. It’s down to choosing the right yoga class. Yoga also leads to weight loss indirectly as it cultivates mindful eating, improve quality of sleep combat stress, which all in turn aid in losing those extra pounds.
7. Yoga is not for anyone with injuries or chronic pain – Yoga therapy is increasingly popular because of its healing effects. Yoga aims at development of physical, mental and spiritual well-being where you learn to control your breathing, increase your body awareness and certain body ailments can be targeted with specific asanas.
Busted. I thought I knew better.
Mel (200hr Yoga TTC 07/14 weekend)