Beginner ( first timer) lesson plan
- Introduce your self
- Ask for medical history, not feeling well
- Do OM X3; explain OM
It is believed to be the basic sound of the universe, the cosmic vibration and contains all other sounds. When repeated correctly it penetrates all and creates harmony and unity with all that exists – with mind, body and spirit and that to all others
- Start on breathing; show them how to breath, exhaling sucking in the belly and inhaling expanding tummy.
Warm up :
- Move your legs on the spot( jogging style)
- Swing your left leg forward and backward x5 ( do the same with the right leg)
- Stretch out your hand and move up ( inhale ) & move down ( exhale) with hands touching the mat x5
- Stretch your hand up and interlock your fingers. Inhale and stretch. Do the same on the left side and right side (holding breath for 3 counts)
- Rotate your shoulder clockwise and anti clockwise
- Rotate your neck, left to right and right to left x5
Sun salutation A
- Stand at the front of the mat, place hand together in prayer position.
- Inhale, arms up and As you exhale, hollow out your belly and fold into Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend), connecting down into the earth. Keep your legs firmly engaged.
- Inhale half way up, look up , hands placing on the mat, step right leg backwards followed by left leg.
- Stay in plank position
- Inhale and exhale normally
- Exhale,8 limbed staff pose on the mat where toes, knees, chest, chin are touching the floor
- In hale , lift the knees, moving slightly forwards into upward facing dog.
- Exhale into downward facing dog.( adho mukha svanasana)-breakdown as below:
- Come into all fours
- Place your knees right under your hips, making sure first you have fully extended your spine.
- Place your hands on your mat, shoulder-width apart
- Light spread your fingers and making sure your middle finger faces directly forward.
- Lift your pelvis to the ceiling and draw your hips back, look at your feet. They should be hip distance apart.
- Your heels may / may not touch the ground- try to ground your heels ( you will be able to feel your spine being stretch and your hips, hamstrings & shoulders)
- Press hands and stretch your hips back from the tops of your thighs.
- Shift your weight back into your hips and look towards your belly
- Ensure the crown of your head is aligned to the natural line of your spine
- Breath slowly X5
- On your 5th exhale, bend your knees & look between your hands.
- In hale, look up place right leg between the palms and repeat the same for left leg.
- Exhale back into uttanasana ( standing forward bend)
- Inhale and stand up in praying post.
- Remain here for a few breaths & continue your next salute
Trikonasana=Triangle pose;Utthita trikonasana:
(Do take a block if needed)
- From Tadasana( mountain pose) facing the long edge of the your mat.
- Step your feet wide apart and turn your left foot out so it is parallel to the front of your mat
- And turn your left foot in slightly.
- On inhalation, raise your arms parallel to the floor, extend your arm bones away from your center with all your heart.
- On exhalation, bend towards right leg, keeping hip square. Place your right hand on your right leg / on a block/ hold the ankle.
- Keep your gazing point towards the your left thumb; keep your breast wide apart and look up. Breath for x5 . Repeat on the left side.
Savasana/Cool down( 5 min):
- Lie down, spread your legs apart, your palms facing towards the ceiling.
- For instant relaxation, in hale & tense your toes, ankles, thighs, buttocks and abdomen. Exhale
- Inhale and make your hands into fist, tense your chest, biceps/ triceps , facial muscles, crown of your head and exhale
- Relax and focus on your right feet, relax your toe, thigh, ankle. Relax your left feet, toe, ankle, thigh.
- Relax your abdomen, and focus on your hands. Relax your shoulder, hand, ankle, wrist, fingers.
- Relax your facial muscle, your eyes, your head crown
- Bring the awareness back to body and sit in Sukhahasana. Bow gratitude.