Begineer 1 Lesson Plan
The following is a lesson plan for a 1 hour lesson for students that are being exposed to Yoga for the first time.
- Introduction and enquires about the students’ medical history – 5 min
- Ashtanga Mantra – 5min
- Deep Breathing- 3 min
- Warm up- 5 min
The most fundamental Ashtanga Yoga posture is Surya Namaskara. That is the objective of this lesson. Surya Namaskara will be broken down into its individual components.
- Samasthiti – 1 min on alignment and breathing
- Ardha Chakrasana – 1 min on alignment, breathing and gazing point
- Uttanasana – 1 min
- Ashwa Sanchalansana- 1 min
- Santloasana- 1min
- Ashtanga Namaskar – 1 min
- Bhujangasana -2 min
- Adho Mukha Swanasana- 2 min
- Ashwa Sanchalansana- ½ min
- Uttanasana – ½ min
- Ardha Chakrasana and Samasthi – ½ min
- Repeat step 5 to 15 on the other leg to complete 1 round- 2 ½ min
After Surya Namsakara is taught, it is followed by a few standing poses, a few siting poses and a supine pose.
- Padangusthasana- 3 min to allow adjustment on the students
- Utthita Trikonasana – 3 min
- Vineysa & Dandasana – 5 min (Let the student try multiple times)
- Pashimottanasa A, B– 3 min
- Purvattanasana – 2 min
- Supine (Leg against wall) – 2min
- Savasana – 5 min
If there is extra time, spend the last 2 to 3 minutes talking about some Yoga philosophies.